Who can apply for AEO status?
It is not obligatory to have the status of an AEO Authorized Economic Operator. The AEO program is available to everyone, including small and medium-sized companies, who play a role in the supply chain: manufacturer, exporter, freight forwarder, warehouse keeper, customs broker, carrier and importer. The only conditions are the necessity to be an entrepreneur within the meaning of customs regulations and to be established in the customs territory of the EU (an exception here may be, among others, sea and air carriers).
What do I need to get AEO status?
An economic operator applying for the AEO status must demonstrate compliance with the requirements to date in accordance with the criteria provided for in the customs legislation of the European Union. Detailed criteria are set out in Art. 39 UCC and these include:
- compliance with customs and tax laws, including non-conviction for a serious criminal offense related to the economic activity of the applicant;
- A demonstration by the applicant that it has a high level of control of its operations and the movement of goods through a commercial and, where applicable, transport records management system, which allows appropriate customs controls to be carried out;
- proven solvency;
and depending on the type of AEO status
- meeting practical standards of competence or professional qualifications directly related to the activity carried out (AEOC);
- appropriate security and safety standards (AEOS).
Where and what documents should be submitted?
In order to obtain the status of Authorized Economic Operator, an application must be submitted. From December 2019, the entire process of applying, issuing and managing the AEO status is carried out electronically. On the EU customs entrepreneur’s portal STP e-AEO, the entrepreneur may submit an application and conduct electronic communication with the customs and tax authority.
The application should be accompanied by a completed entrepreneur’s self-assessment questionnaire, in accordance with art. 26 sec. 1 RD UCC. When filling in the Questionnaire, the entrepreneur should conduct a risk analysis and assess the degree of meeting the conditions and criteria described in the document.
Depending on the business activity, enterprises may choose from three types of certificates when submitting their application:
- AEOC – Customs Simplifications for entrepreneurs who want to benefit from simplifications provided for in specific customs legislation.
- AEOS – Safety and Security for entrepreneurs who want to benefit from customs facilitation and control in the field of safety and security of goods when importing and exporting to / from the customs territory of the European Union.
- AEOF – Customs Simplifications / Security and Protection for entrepreneurs who want to benefit from simplifications provided for by customs regulations and amenities in the field of security and protection of goods.
In order to increase the level of supply chain security and facilitate the achievement of significant mutual benefits in partner countries, the EU concludes mutual recognition agreements on AEO programs. So far, such agreements have been concluded, inter alia, with Switzerland, Japan, Andorra, the United States and China. The purpose of mutual recognition of the AEO status is:
- recognition by customs of the AEO status granted in accordance with the AEO program of another country,
- agreement to implement comparable benefits / facilities for recognized AEOs on the basis of reciprocity.
Detailed information on the principles of mutual recognition of the AEO status is regulated in special agreements concluded by the EU with third countries.
- Fewer document and physical checks
- Priority treatment of the consignment in the event of selecting it for inspection - carrying out the inspection out of sequence
- Selection of the place of inspection
- Prior notification of selecting a shipment for inspection
- Faster and easier access to customs simplifications and exclusive use of certain customs simplifications
- Recognition of AEO status throughout the EU and in partner countries with which the EU has signed an agreement
- Facilitate the process of applying for the status of Registered Agent, Known Consignor and Account Consignor
Are you starting to receive more and more questions from your contractors / customers / suppliers about having an AEO permit? It is a necessary condition to maintain / establish cooperation? Do you have a specific deadline for obtaining the certificate? Blue Energy consultants will help in obtaining it. Having the status of an AEO Authorized Economic Operator is a privilege to be included in the group of business entities recognized as reliable partners. It is the free market that forces the necessity of continuous improvement of security related to the supply chain. We have often carried out implementation projects as a matter of urgency, because there was a need to obtain a certificate within a certain time. We have many years of experience and knowledge that allows us to minimize the time needed to prepare the organization for the audit of the customs authorities. We have successfully prepared both large enterprises and several-person companies for certification. We have worked with business entities representing all parts of the supply chain: producer, exporter, freight forwarder, warehouse keeper, agent. customs, carrier and importer.
The course of processes in any organization, to a greater or lesser extent, depends on the efficient management of supplies, the protection of people, goods, infrastructure, equipment and vehicles. Blue Energy implements management systems that guarantee customers the security of the supply chain based on the requirements of ISO 28000: 2007. The key element in creating effective solutions ensuring the security of the supply chain is the creation of mechanisms for identifying threats and eliminating the effects of their possible materialization. This is done through a risk analysis focused on threats that may disrupt the supply chain processes. The standard is addressed to organizations that take part in the supply chain process at every stage, regardless of the size and type of business. The flexibility of the provisions of the ISO 28000 standard, combined with many years of experience of our company's consultants, guarantees our potential clients the adaptation of existing processes to European requirements in terms of obtaining the Authorized Economic Operators (AEO) certificate.
During the implementation of the AEO requirements, one of the most common problems is the incorrect completion of the Enterprise Self-Assessment Questionnaire. Correct and accurate completion of it can significantly speed up and streamline the procedure for granting the AEO status. A very important element in the process of preparing for the audit of representatives of the Customs Chamber is the AEO self-assessment questionnaire. It contains a list of requirements related to international standards and good practices that the entrepreneur should respond to in order to obtain a positive assessment by the auditors. The questions contained in the document often cause problems and finding documents describing a given area is very time-consuming. Blue Energy consultants have the necessary knowledge that will solve any disputed situation. A practical approach to the implementation of requirements enables the effective completion of the Questionnaire in a manner ensuring self-assessment. The prepared risk analysis methodology ensures that the necessary substantive input is obtained, which will be used when answering the questions.
Related blog articles
Krajowy System Cyberbezpieczeństwa to wymagania dla operatorów usług kluczowych oraz usług cyfrowych. Czym są te wymagania opisane w dość oszczędny sposób w Ustawie? Co mówi sama ustawa o tym jak zapewnić bezpieczeństwo i ciągłość realizacji usług kluczowych?
Częstym problemem organizacji jest zapewnienie efektywnego i gwarantującego właściwą rozliczalność kanału komunikacji wewnętrznej, np. związanej z realizacją praw podmiotów danych, czy zgłaszaniem i obsługą naruszeń ochrony danych osobowych
Ile faktycznie zajmuje identyfikacja i realizacja praw podmiotu danych? Czy nasz rejestr czynności wspiera realizację praw? Czy potrafimy automatyzować procesy realizacji praw podmiotu danych?